What to Expect on Sundays
Sunday Worship Services
- Time: Fellowship services are held every Sunday evening at 5PM, except for Easter and during our Annual Meeting each May or June.
- Location: Visalia Friends Meeting House, just east of Visalia. See Directions.
- Topics: Check our Newsletter for this Sunday’s topic, which changes every week!
Inspiration for the Here-and-Now
Our worship services are designed to provide inspiration and knowledge for spiritual growth.
Some of are services are led by Fellowship members or guest speakers; others by visiting religious professionals.
What to Expect
Services include lighting the flaming chalice, meaningful readings, sharing of joys and sorrows, a brief moment of silence, music, sermons or presentations, and often includes active discussion or quiet sharing. The service rarely lasts more than one hour. See Order of Service. We take up an offering of money to support our Fellowship, but guests are not expected to contribute. We have a buffet supper after the service, which we invite visitors to share.
This newly-released video is an excellent introduction to Unitarian Universalism:
Our Unitarian Universalist hymnbook includes 415 hymns and songs and 317 readings of spiritual inspiration. It offers a good understanding of what UUism is about and its possibilities for spiritual growth. The readings make wonderful daily meditations and it’s very refreshing to find material from many traditions together in our hymnal. In our congregation, hymns are usually sung without accompaniment – so please let us know if you would like to share your musical talents with us!
Sermons in a Unitarian Universalist Fellowship like ours are derived from many sources. We sometimes have guest speakers who lecture on topics of interest. We often use inspirational programs provided by our denomination’s long-distance church, the Church of the Larger Fellowship.
You will find plenty of variety in our services! Topics vary widely, but are always focused on the here-and-now – how to live a better life, for ourselves and for the planet.
From Visalia, head east on Hwy 198 about 5 or 6 miles, take the Farmersville exit (Exit #111), turn left twice so that you cross over Hwy 198 to the north side of the freeway, then turn right (east) on the frontage road, and proceed approximately one mile east to its end. In the grove of tall trees, you’ll see signs for the Friends Meeting House and Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Visalia.
When We Meet
- Sundays, 5 PM: except Easter, when we join with the Visalia Friends congregation on Sunday morning.
- Sundays, 6 PM: Buffet Suppers – you don’t need to bring anything on your first couple of visits!
- Study Groups other special programs are scheduled throughout the year. See our Newsletter!
Photo of Fellowship Banner and inter-faith prayer flags courtesy of Harold Wood
© Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Visalia